Saturday, December 3, 2011

going underground








Yesterday i finally decided about my essay topic which would be my winter assignment. I've chosen to discover Robert Crumb and his influence to underground culture. This choice looks pretty obvious coz i like all about comics and it would be great excuse for me to have a closer look at it. But there are more reasons: Victor Melamed who told a lot about him and Kazantip music festival which atmosphere was somehow similar to 60s ( or how i understand it) and where i fell in love to Fritz the Cat animation. It doesn't matter that it sounds crazy but for me it's really logical mixture of ideas and thoughts.

Others variants which sounded interesting for me were smth about Cuba's posters with its strong visual approach and topic about postmodernism with conception of deconstruction.

Anyway i made my decision and started to explore the topic. For to understand the ancestors and reasons I've started from the early beginning. That's important for me as i haven't strong comics background (I've started to look into just this spring) and haven't read any of Crumb's books. So now, after reading the book about history of comics and visiting the Cartoon Museum i have confidence about my chosen topic.

2 comments:

  1. it's close to British Museum, they currently have historical exhibition and small part of Nelson's book

    ReplyDelete