Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Best London Markets

Here is the thing I've been doing for so long.

The idea was to create an illustration about London markets, which gives the overview, recommends useful and interesting places and would inspire students to explore the topic. 
Since May I’ve been asking students across UAL about theirs favourite markets and why they like them. At the same time I went to the most popular places and been drawing on location, observing atmosphere, taking photographs and notes. Collecting feedback, my own experience and some useful insights from Yelp.com and other forums, I came up with the idea to create a custom map, where drawn typefaces and found characters represent the atmosphere.

 The most challenging part was to organise all the information I’ve got.  There were:
- student’s quotes, tips and tricks
- observational drawings on location
- lists of markets ranked by different criteria
- actual map of markets
- photographs
- opening hours, location and prices
- my associations and characters for the places
and much more formal and informal information

Finally instead of drawing the stalls and crowds I've decided to make a 'custom map' which represents the atmosphere. At the same time the size of the typefaces represents the popularity of the exact place and some  facts has been added as well. 
Click to zoom:
Here is the link to Commonplace where you can find all the information and students' tips& tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment