Wednesday, December 21, 2011

how to make friends

As i understood long time ago it is easy to make friends (or at least to get contact with new people) when you are photographer or journalist. Most people love attention to them or their own business. Of course you should feel the limits of their comfort zone but there are no rules, just experience.

The same is with drawings. I often make sketches of unknown people and places but always shy to show the result for them. Even if they pay attention on me. But i hope it is temporary problem because most of time they like it. I think it is mostly because i used to draw things that somehow attracted me and they can feel it.


Here is the fresh example.
It was the one of the oldest buildings in Palermo and in 18th century it was used as the customs office. Now here will be small art gallery. I've learned it accidentally, when came in small antique shop at the other side of this house. The owner of the shop was very interesting person to talk with and somehow i've shown him my sketchbook. When he looked at this sketch he was very excited and asked me to sell it. He liked it a lot but the most important for him was that I made such a long way and choose his own shop to draw, with his own car and his new art gallery! He wanted to buy this pages somehow but i didn't want to destroy my sketchbook.
I promised to return in evening and went to art supply shop. I bought a piece of design paper and drew another version of the same sketch. Actually I wanted to make different one, may be from the other angle, but there was too cold there, so i came to cafe and made it:


When I gave it him he was so happy! Introduced me to all his friends as a 'genius Russian artist'. What's a pity that i don't understand Italian coz he spoke a lot and i could recognize only separate words. Anyway, i'm happy to know that somewhere at Sicily i have at least one fan of my works and nice friend to talk.


1 comment:

  1. Nice! So far only a girl in Camberwell Green asked me if I sell my works, not here yet! I'll see if there's any Hungarian who's interested in "buying" my works!

    ReplyDelete